|This page or section is incomplete. You can help by adding to it.|
Needs other quest info added
For more information, see the help files, the style guide, and this article's talk page.
|Gold||1000 (+1000 Master Trader)|
|Buys||Blacksmith (Animal Hides, Armor, Arrows, Ore/Ingots, Tools, Weapons)|
|Primary Skills||Smithing, Speech, One-handed, Pickpocket|
|Essential||Yes, if on the Vampire side only until Destroying the Dawnguard|
|Faction(s)||CrimeFactionRift; DLC1HunterFaction; DLC1ServicesGunmar; Gets dialogue pointing player to radiant quests; Gunmar Faction|
Gunmar is a Nordblacksmith added by the Dawnguard add-on. He initially wears a set of scaled horn armor with matching pairs of bracers and boots. He is equipped with a leveled one-handed weapon, and carries random leveled bandit loot, and has a 25% chance of carrying 1-9 gold.
Once recruited into the Dawnguard, he dons a set of Dawnguard equipment. You will be able to hire armored trolls from him for 500 gold each. He is a master trainer in Smithing, and will sell you a wide variety of armor and weapons, including Dawnguard equipment.
Gunmar will be the source of most of your Dawnguard radiant quests, as Sorine Jurard's radiant quests can only be performed once, and the probability of receiving quests from Isran and Florentius Baenius is always lower than the probability of receiving quests from Gunmar.
When taunting an enemy, he will use the following lines: "Justice will prevail!", "I'm not backing down!", "I've fought worse than you!", and "Give up while you can!"
A New Order
Upon finding Gunmar, if you stand near him long enough without entering conversation, he may say: "Mind yourself. There's a vicious bear on the loose." Upon speaking to him, he will say: "You there, hold fast! I've tracked this damned bear for two weeks; I'll not let it have any more victims." You can then tell him Isran needs his help, and Gunmar will say: "Isran? Needing someone else's help? Never thought I'd hear that. I'm afraid he's a few years too late. I've moved on. I have more important business to attend to. Besides, he can handle anything alone! He assured me so himself. What could he possibly need my help with?" You can then tell Gunmar that you're up against vampires, and he will say: "Vampires? That... well, that might change things. Tell me more about what's going on." When you tell Gunmar that you're not sure, but that they have an Elder Scroll, he will reply by saying: "By the Eight... All right, look. I'll consider it, but I can't just leave this bear to prey on more innocent people. Once it's dealt with, then perhaps I'll see what Isran expects of me." Once the bear has been defeated, speaking to Gunmar will result in him saying: "Don't know how well I'd have managed by myself. You have my thanks. You've helped me, so I suppose the least I can do is find out what Isran wants. He's still at that fort near Stendarr's Beacon, I assume?" If you have killed the bear without ever talking to Gunmar beforehand, he will instead say: "For two weeks I've tracked that bear, and now find that you've killed it on your own. I'm not sure whether that makes you brave or foolish. What brings you here?" Either way, you now have two dialogue options. If you tell Gunmar that Isran said for him to meet him there, he'll respond: "Of course he did. He's been working on that place for years now. Never lets anyone in. His own little fortress. Well, I guess I'll get to see what he's been up to all this time. I'll meet you there." If you instead ask him how he knew, he will reply by saying: "If Isran is anything, he's stubborn." Either option will result in Gunmar agreeing. He will then stay at Fort Dawnguard for the rest of the game.
- You may be told to speak to Gunmar for a new assignment, but when speaking with him he will have no new assignment for you. However, this may be a result of having a quest active already.
- This can be fixed by using the console, with the code . The quest will not start immediately, but when it does, the quest Preemptive Strike or another quest from Gunmar will begin. Complete the quest, and Gunmar will have regular dialogue.
- "Our sense of what's right is what separates us from the vampires. Don't forget that."
Gunmar is a Nord hunter and master trainer in Smithing. He is an old friend of Isran, who mentions that he hates vampires almost as much as Isran himself does.
He looks out for the Dragonborn and will often comment that morality is very important, as it is what separates humans from vampires. Like Isran, he is honorable, though less staunch, more relaxed and more open-minded. Upon first meeting him he exclaims, "By the Eight," suggesting he may have abandoned or rejected Talos worship. His family was killed by vampires, much like Isran's, and he chooses to defend others from vampire attacks, rather than seek revenge.
A New OrderEdit
Isran asks the Dragonborn to find and recruit Gunmar into the Dawnguard. Gunmar can be found outside at the following radiant locations:
If a marker does not appear on the map for Gunmar while in Skyrim, travel to the Solstheim locations.
Once a member of the Dawnguard he will move to Fort Dawnguard. There he will offer a variety of services.
In addition, he will also give radiant quests to slay vampires in a number of locations:
- "Cozy little place isn't this?"
- "This is fine for now, but we can't stay holed up here forever."
- "We can't give up. There's no one else to stand against these monsters."
- "We'll stop these monsters. We have to; we're the only ones who can."
- "It's no Warmaiden's, but I've got a decent supply."
- "What do you need, blades, armor, smithing materials?"
This section contains bugs related to Gunmar. Before adding a bug to this list, consider the following:
- PC 360 PS3 PS4 Gunmar can have upwards of 70,000 on him, due to the fact he seems to not be actually buying any items the Dragonborn attempts to sell him. He accepts the item, but his gold neither decreases, nor does the Dragonborn receive payment. In essence, he gets it for free.
- PC(Fix) Opening the console, click on Gunmar and typing replacing the 20,000 with an amount of that will get Gunmar back below 20,000.
- Best way to prevent this is to make sure he never has more than 20,000 on him, which means Dragonborn needs to watch how much they pay Gunmar for Smithing training.
- 360 Should Gunmar's initial encounter occur at Cronvangr Cave or Honeystrand Grove, the bear might not appear, and the Dawnguard storyline will not be able to be advanced by recruiting him.
- Fix for Cronvangr Cave: Entering the cave before talking to Gunmar may cause the bear to spawn and allow the quest to be continued as normal.
- PC 360 Gunmar's initial encounter occurring at Cronvangr Cave can also leave him hostile to the Dragonborn and he will attack on sight, stopping the Dawnguard storyline because he cannot be recruited.
- Fix: sneak behind him then talk to him
- PC 360 PS3 Gunmar may not give the Dragonborn any quests even if other Dawnguard members say he has something for them.
- PC(Fix) : Open the console, and type . The quest will not appear immediately, but when it does, Preemptive Strike or other Gunmar quests will have started. Complete the quest, and Gunmar should have regular dialogue.
- Gunmar may stand outside Honeystrand Cave and whenever he is approached will simply say, "Mind yourself, there's a vicious bear on the loose." and will not move from the spot, even once all bears are cleared from the area and the cave.
- Gunmar may not appear in Fort Dawnguard.
- PC PS3 Gunmar may be hostile at Crystaldrift Cave, which can be easily fixed by attacking him until he is down and then waiting 24 hours.
- 360 Sometimes, Gunmar will still have his dialogue from the end of his recruitment quest when speaking to him at Fort Dawnguard.
- PS3 XB1 PS4 360