Judicial Assistant Resume Samples
Judicial Assistants perform administrative tasks for federal or state judges, such as making copies, transcribing court correspondence, drafting court documents, and filing documents. Sample resumes in this field highlight duties such as scheduling hearings with attorneys and for pro se litigants, registering people for parenting classes, and managing all divorce, dissolution, domestic violence and civil stalking cases. Although some Judicial Assistant positions require previous work experience, individuals can enter this occupation with only a high school diploma on their resumes.
Looking for job listings? Check out our Judicial Assistant Jobs page.
Systematically composed and arranged legal correspondence, indexed documents according to the [company name] established system.
- Supervised and managed judicial administrative staff of over five employees.
- Provided administration, coordination, and management of office duties.
- Timely completed challenging tasks and a daily heavy workload.
- Enhanced efficiency in the judicial office by retrieving, revising, and updating criminal case files.
- Conducted the hiring process of all judicial administrative staff and trained employees.
Senior Court Clerk/judicial Assistant
Senior Court Clerk/Judicial Assistant to the Honorable Stephen Muehlberg and the Honorable B. William Ekstrum. Completed daily tasks in the courtroom such as calling cases, updating criminal, juvenile, civil, probate and family files. Assess fines and clarified with parties of fine amounts and/or filing fees.
- Returning phone calls from private attorneys, public defenders, pro se litigants and probation officers and assisted them in identifying legal requirements of matters under the District Court's jurisdiction. Provided complex and detailed clerical support to the assigned Judge and maintained the individual calendar.
- Setting court dates for criminal, juvenile, civil, probate and family files.
- Worked closely with the Judge, law clerk and court reporter on assigned files. Organized files for the individual calendars for the week and provided updated information regarding the files.
- Performed case/record management duties, which include the use of MNCIS computer and other computer systems within the county.
- Updated the Judge's pending report to make sure the assigned cases were up-to-date.
- Received Employee of the year in 2003 for handling customers with respect and providing them with correct information and for being courteous.
- Ordered supplies for the division and the Judge.
Responsible for attending court proceedings with appointed attorney.
- Reviewed and made recommendations on petitions for discretionary review, and extraordinary writ petitions.
- Conducted legal research and prepared memoranda on pending cases.
- Attended oral arguments, discussed cases with staff attorneys and the assigned justice, and assisted in the drafting of orders or opinions.
- Augmented current skill set by attending special lectures, group discussions, and training sessions.
Judicial Assistant II
Prepared Minutes and Orders for court hearings to record proceedings and assist the Judge.
- Completed warrants, exonerations of bail, abstracts, judgments and protective orders.
- Drafted memorandum for policy and procedure changes within the [company name].
- Responsible for the communications between the general public, attorneys, and the Judge.
- Trained all personnel working in the position of Judicial Assistant at the [company name] for six years.
- Provided a regular point of contact for court employees to use as a resource when attending special court proceedings.
- Obtained the nickname "Radar" from two of the Judges for being able to anticipate their needs concerning in court procedure and documents.
- Assisted in the rollout of the Court and Agencies' Record Exchange (CARE) case management system, attending trainings and teaching others about its use and policies.
- Attended one hundred and eighty hours of training, including topics such as customer service, ethics and confidentiality, cultural awareness training, security policy seminars, and team management.
- Managed the accounts of defendants, both juvenile and adult, for compliance with judicial orders.
Court Judicial Assistant for District Court Magistrate
Promoted to manager of Courtroom Division
- Prioritized Courtroom calendar
- Developed training materials for the Court Division and trained Court Division employees
- Contacted and handled inquiries from litigants, attorneys, and other professionals
- Organized Court proceedings for all criminal matters
- Assisted Judges and Magistrates with case flow management
- Assigned District Court Judges to incoming criminal cases
- Managed data entry for criminal unit
Judicial Assistant, Judge Michelle Ann Marker
Observed criminal and civil proceedings at both county and district court level, including preliminary hearings, voir dire, motion hearings, sentencing hearings, and trials
- Assisted in the training of judicial assistants within county court, including participation in multiple courtrooms for multiple judicial officers
- Prepared and maintained a county court docket, including scheduling, issuing orders, processing warrants, court orders, and other court documents
- Participated in daily court activities processing real time data entry for both court record and sentencing orders
Answered phone calls and scheduled hearings
- Opened and processed all paperwork and warrants
- Prepared daily dockets for a felony and civil circuit judge ensuring attorneys, defendants and jurors were all present for all hearings/trials
- Researched cases and drafted appropriate orders as necessary
Processed reported violations of CU's Student Conduct Code
- Compiled confidential disciplinary records
- Communicated the University's judicial process to students and sent notifications of judicial determinations regarding Conduct Code violations
- Implemented disciplinary sanctions electronically, effectively freezing student accounts and blocking registration activity
Assisted former Chief Judge Blackburn and three staff attorneys
- Revised opinions of staff attorneys for final submission
- Prepared correspondence and memorandum
- Maintained Court docket books for opinion reviews
- Office management, maintained Judge's calendar, meeting schedules and travel arrangements
Managed daily operation of Judge's Chamber, responsible for supervision of court staff, management of a minimum of 300 active cases in the Judge's inventory as well as monitoring cases in post-trial posture.
- Liaison between Judge, local and state entities within the court system, private counsel, Board of Judges and pro se litigants, responsible for Judge's daily court and personal calendar, opened and prioritized incoming daily mail.
- Coordinated and distributed the weekly trial list, scheduled individual motion hearings and jury/non-jury trials, typed, proofread and distributed the Court's written opinion/decisions.
- Daily interaction with the public in the courtroom and contact with all other entities of the court system, i.e. District Attorney's Office, Public Defender's Office, Federal Defender's Office, Sheriff's Office, Bail Office, Adult Probation and Parole, Jury Board and Court Administrator's Office, Administrative Office of Pennsylvania Courts (AOPC), Commonwealth Court, Superior Court, District Magistrate Courts and the Pennsylvania Commission on Sentencing.
Upload Your Resume for a Free Critique
- Get personalized feedback on improving your resume to land more interviews.
- See how you resume performs in automated scanners most employers use.
- Delivered in 48 hours
Well done! Your resume has been submitted successfully! You will receive a confirmation soon.
Legal Assistant Cover Letter Sample 1:
I am a serious, hardworking, detail oriented, forward moving, sharp, focused and reliable individual who is a quick learner and an efficient multitasker. I am a self-starter who is self-motivated with the abilities to independently manage and timely complete projects as well as successfully contribute my skills to a team.
My plaintiff/defendant litigation experience covers the areas of complex litigation, labor/employment, insurance defense, products liability, healthcare and medical malpractice. My responsibilities included processing of court filings, e-filings; word processing; filling out forms; on-line research regarding court rules; and calendaring in Compulaw for all state, federal and appellate courts. My experience also included drafting transmittal letters, forms, pleadings, marital agreements, legal separation papers, child custody papers; scheduling depositions, court reporters, mediators, arbitrators; production of documents; exhibit assembly; management of data bases, hard files; and handling of all aspects of law office management.
My transactional experience covers the areas of corporate, corporate securities, real estate and entertainment. My responsibilities included filling out forms (i.e., statement by domestic stock corporation, commissioner of corporations, fictitious business name statements, stock certificates, and trust forms); voluminous word processing of leases, sub-leases, liens, agreements (i.e., partnership agreements, employee agreements, merchandise agreements, purchase and sale agreements, deeds, articles of incorporation, bylaws, minutes); conducting research with the Secretary of State, Department of Corporations and submitting documents to the County Recorder’s office; maintaining minute books, compiling final conservatorship accountings; and administrative duties.
I have excellent skills in formatting/fixing extremely complicated documents as well as strong skills in grammar, proofreading, typing, macros, heavy revisions, redlining, transcription, TOCs/TOAs, scanning, bookmarking, bates labeling, archiving emails, indexing storage/closed files, etc.
Please contact me by phone or email at your convenience to arrange for an interview. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Legal Assistant Cover Letter Sample 2:
Your posting for a legal assistant indicated requirements that closely match my background and expertise. I have attached my resume to provide a summary of my qualifications and background for your review.
Throughout my career, I have maintained the highest performance standards within a diverse range of administrative functions, which is clearly illustrated by my past successes. Most recently, as a Litigation Assistant/ at Luke Von den Gard & Smith, P.A., I have contributed to an increase in the firm’s bottom line, and achieved higher payouts for our clients by effectively negotiating down liens imposed by government and healthcare entities. I have also streamlined operations and reduced costs by consolidating operations and negotiating competitive rates with service providers. Additionally, while serving as a Legal Assistant to a Senior Partner of Prattel Barnett, I created a highly effective organizational and filing system which streamlined office functioning and improved time management.
Further qualifications I offer include the following:
- Successful track record supporting the efforts of executive-level staff, including CFOs, presidents and senior partners.
- Strong background in all aspects of office management, from scheduling meetings and coordinating travel to overseeing budget and accounting functions.
- Ccapacity to develop and maintain comprehensive administrative processes that improve the efficiency of day-to-day operations.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills, an outstanding work ethic, and the ability to work well in both team-oriented and self-directed environments.
I would welcome an opportunity to speak with you to discuss my qualifications and candidacy in further detail. Thank you for your time and consideration and I look forward to speaking with you soon.
Legal Assistant Cover Letter Sample 3:
I have recently relocated to New York, where I hope to continue serving as a legal assistant. My work with first-rate attorneys enables me to offer you an exceptional mix of training, knowledge, experience, and professionalism. My experiences have built a foundation that has provided me with the necessary skills to conduct business on a professional and executive level to improve customer satisfaction and business results through effective communication and organization.
As you will see on the enclosed resume, I have worked for several years in a law firm in the Maryland area. I am proficient in many areas of criminal, domestic and civil trials with an additional concentration in personal injury cases. As a result, I can offer you an unusual level of expertise in researching case law, drafting complaints and discovery requests as well as responses to counterclaims, motions for discovery sanctions, motions for summary judgments, and motions to dismiss. Also, I have worked in a temporary capacity at a workers compensation law firm which has helped me gain further experience and expanded my knowledge of the workers compensation rules and procedures.
The attorneys with whom I have worked with have provided me with recommendations to aid me in my search. I would appreciate the opportunity to present these to you, and to introduce myself as a candidate for the position at your firm. Please contact me by phone or e-mail during the day or evening, so we can schedule a time to discuss things further.